Sunday, February 23, 2014

sometimes it lasts in love, and sometimes

it hertz.

I just returned my rental car this afternoon- the same KIA I have had for 30 days, the maximum allotted time you can rent a car.  And boy, what a sad day!

After a few years of subway riding, I fell back in love with driving my own car.
Gosh, I'm such a cutie!

Of course the sunshine, shiny exterior and satellite radio are a HUGE WIN when it comes to driving versus riding.  But just to be sure, I have compiled a list of Driving/Riding Pros and Cons.

Driving a car:
Pros:
YOUR CAR IS YOUR CLOSET
"oh yes, i have one in my car.." or "I left that in my car" ..If you left something on the subway car, it's no longer yours, nor would you want it to be.

FREEDOM/NO SHAME
Only alone in the car on the freeway can you experience the true freedom that comes from shamelessly belting your favorite jams. Never could singing all the wrong notes be so right. 

COMFORT
Leather cushions, seats that recline, power windows, radio, a compartment just for gloves- what could be cozier?

Cons:
GAS PRICES
this recent photo tells it all :(



TRAFFIC
Avoiding rush hour will be your new obsession.  What can be more frustrating?

Riding the Subway
Pros:
MULTI-TASKING
you can look into someone's eyes while you're having a conversation, 
you can do your make-up, read a book, eat your bagel or play candy crush

USE OF YOUR CELL PHONE
ain't no cops gunna stop you around these parts

IT'S SHOWTIME

hundreds of mariachi bands, saxophonists, old lady karaoke-ers, a few brothers and friends doing tricks on the poles and handles and this guy:
ladies and gentleman,
my name is jared
if i could just have a moment of your attention
I'm trying to make a little money, 
stay off the streets and simply, make a better life 
today i am offering you snacks for one dollar
i'm selling fruit roll-ups, chocolate chip cookies
or nature valley granola bars

thank you and God bless 

CONS:
NO ALONE TIME OR PERSONAL SPACE
being pushed, squished and side to side with a homeless guy's shopping cart isn't a very good feeling

TRAIN TRAFFIC/DELAYS/CONSTRUCTION
sometimes you just gotta stay home

It seems pretty equal until we suddenly factor in… PARKING
If you ride the subway, there is never a need to park!  It may be a preference, but I'd say Public Transportation may be the best option if you're going low-stress, low-time and low-cash.
For me, riding the subway is the ultimate MONEY- SAVER.  I only pay $112 per month to ride the subway and this month I paid $530 for my car and $250 for gas. -OUCH!



Still, it was sad to drop off my car today. I will miss my sense of freedom, the ease of my phone calls being blue-toothed to the speaker system, and the space I had to carry around empty coke cans and extra tampons. 
Goodbye little KIA, sometimes it lasts with cars, but sometimes it hurts instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment