Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween with the Hoffmans


A Windy Day Couple
Our Halloween Costume How To!
      

Supplies:
Wire
linen leaves
safety pins
newspaper
shoes with shoelaces, scarves, ties and other clothing you don't mind putting holes into
You'll spend about $6-10 depending on what you already have at home

I bought 2 spools of craft wire at Michaels,($2.99 each) something thick, durable, but movable
We used 10 leaves and 3 pages of newspaper and used safety pins to attach them to our clothing and umbrella and bobby pins for the hair
Now you will need to weave the wire through you tie, scarf and shoelaces.

If you cut a hole at the base of your shoelace, it will easily feed to the end and then you can bend them the direction you are "blowing."

The scarf was the most time consuming.  In order to make it sturdy, i used one entire spool of wire and laced it through the entire scarf.  It was bendable AND sturdy so I could wear it without it leaning down and without being too heavy.

Here is my first test run.  At first I only laced it through each end of the scarf and the not middle, as you can see, I had to hold it with my hands so it didn't fall down.  the fall-proof method is to lace each edge with wire, and then comes to tricky part, the hair!

Here is the Secret:
got2b Glued freeze spray!  It's like cement for your hair!


If you're life me and have long hair, spray won't cut.  So, I cut a 2-liter soda bottle in half and ran some wire through the bottom.  The bottom half of the soda bottle is touching my scalp and it is "strapped in" with two tight elastics.  I ran 4 strands of wire around the elastics and twisted my hair around each one. I used lots of spray and saved a small portion of hair from the opposite side of my head to fold over and cover any mess-ups.  I sprayed those down and used very small black bobby pins.  One part that had an obvious bobby pin sticking out, i covered with a leaf!
I ended up LOVING the way my hair turned out, but boy did it hurt!
I could only keep my "dew" in for 3 hours

The easiest part is the umbrella:  You're going to have to break it by turning it inside out and safety pin a newspaper and some leaves onto it!

Then take goofy pictures all night.  It is sure to be one hilarious Halloween!

The special details that really brought this costume together were: 
the shoelaces
the leaves and garbage
ACTING (like you're in a hurricane)


You will have so much fun!!!
Happy Halloween 2013 from The Surviving Mormon Couple

No comments:

Post a Comment