Thursday, February 6, 2014

Austin, Texas: the music, the food and the man

As the ultimate roadie for Ivan's tour, I was thrilled that we got to go to 
Austin, TX
We saw his show, cruised down 6th Street finding all the good music and ate and ate and ate
And my stomach grew two sizes that day.

We only spent 2 days here & and here is our run down:
Meal #1 at Threadgill's
a honky-tonk dinner with inexpensive humongous portions of everything and anything Southern.
Then it was off to Ivan's show at The Long Center Theatre in Austin.

After a walk around downtown, the capital building, some venturing around 6th Street Bars, restaurants  Open Mic Nights, Concerts and probably 100 concerts going at once, we popped into a quaint quiet cafe sill serving food at 11pm.
Meal # 2 at Parkside on 6th Street
We had some appetizers- calamari and something else with crab and then we each had a dessert.
Above is Ivan's dessert which was Tiramisu Doughnuts!


On Day 2, we got a tour of the city and went shopping!
On Congress Street, there's a great area with shops and restaurants.
We found several winners all right next to each other.


We stopped by Allen's Boot Barn



An antique store called 



A colorful costume shop called Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds


Went across the street for a quick pick me up at Hey Cupcake!

Then we drove downtown for an outdoor tour of the Capital Building and settled in 
for lunch at about 1:00pm. Of course we chose Barbecue.
Meal # 3 Iron Works BBQ



After enjoying some more music at Man of La Mancha at the Long Center,

We caved and ate AGAIN!
Meal # 4 Whataburger


The next morning, Ivan was back on the bus and I headed with my friends to the 
airport for a nice getaway to Houston and then Phoenix- spoiled much??

We dined at a popular breakfast joint 
Meal #5 Magnolia Cafe
 

See the size o' that ol' pancake thar? I tol' ya'll, ya'lls like it big in them thar Texas!!!

I have heard great things about Austin for years so I am so glad that I had the opportunity.
I'm so glad that Ivan (the man, in this here scenario) toured in Austin.  
I think it was everyone's favorite stop so far.  I had such a great time and I ate SO much, 
as you can see.  It is 1:20pm as I blog about this and I am so hungry.  
This seems like a good place to end.  I hope all ya'll get something yummy to eat too!  

M
National Tour Vacation


No comments:

Post a Comment