Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Love and Long Distance Relationships

I think I pride myself as a woman who is pretty carefree and independent.  I love my husband but I try really hard not to be needy, obsessive or totally head over heels.
I am still not sure why that is something I try not to do.  It is unfortunate that subconsciously I guess I feel that being "in-love" makes me a weaker person and it's better to love my husband logically with my head than with my heart.  The truth is that I love him with both.  I will say, the longer we've been married, the more there is a logical reason for loving him, rather than the simple follow-your-heart type anecdote.  I love him and he means so much to me, but I definitely don't go gaga every time I see him.  Instead of the blissful run into each other's arms after a long day, it's more like, "Good, you're home, did you pick up the milk?"   But that's life right?  I get used to having him around, so I take my husband for granted a little.
It is, however, refreshing once in a while, to meet someone new and hear them say we look like newlyweds.
I need a little run-into-his arms love and bliss back in our relationship!  Rarely do I praise my husband for all the many things he needs to be praised for.  It's like showing him off at show and tell, or just a dedicated blog entry for a dedicated husband. So here it goes, because, in all honesty, he is pretty dang awesome!

I guess God knew I needed a little more "heart action" happening in my life, so He gave Ivan a job!
My husband is in the National Tour of Man of La Mancha
He is talented and funny and charming and knows how to support me and keeping 
working in the theater business! 
He is on the road for three months tour-busing around the United States 
performing his show almost everyday!
Which is why I have been traveling a lot more- in order to see him!

Our long distance is always a challenge.  It's filled with a constant half-empty feeling and my incredible inability to make decisions.  But somehow, we came up with an awesome plan that will have me visiting him often and living with my parents and keeping busy so the time would fly by!

Now for the hard part..
 A few things had to happen before this became a reality.  All the while, I didn't blog about it because I was busy, but mainly just overwhelmed.  I had to pack up all our stuff, sell our furniture, put our things into a 25 square foot storage unit and move.  
And I did it sans husband.
I hated it.
All of it.
I hated sleeping on the couch and then the air mattress and I hated being lonely and all of it.
I just kept thinking This will be over soon and I'll be with Ivan soon. 

 Thanks to technology

 Then, we called and texted and face timed and for a moment, everything was better

And So…                                                                                                                           The weeks passed and once we were reunited, everything magically went back to normal and        I began loving with my HEART and not my HEAD.It was real MAGIC!  I didn't take him for granted anymore.  I ran blissfully into his arms because I missed him so much and I remembered in my heart why I love him in the first place.

Absence makes the HEART grow fonder, people.
We only have to face-time for a few more weeks and then
we'll be back together again for more traveling and performing.

Ivan and I have always been in this constant state of SURVIVAL:
get smart
pay the bills
choose the right
better our career
stay happy 
stay together

and most certainly not in that order.


I have survived with great love and blessings from God and the miraculous gift of MARRIAGE!  Someone is really watching out for us and especially today, I am so grateful to be part of                The Surviving Mormon Couple.
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment