Saturday, April 4, 2015

being married.


March 2008, Easter Weekend
Provo, UT


Present Day
Las Vegas, NV


Ivan and I met and started dating within a few weeks. And a few weeks after that, we both knew we were going to marry each other. We each had our personal, separate moments where we knew each other was "the one" and they are both unique and pretty powerful experiences.

I was barely 19 and Ivan was 21.  
It was hopeless and romantic and I was a hopeless romantic disguised as a "logical, earthy, true to herself, independent woman," although, I think was that too.

My most popular blog entry is My Secret's Out: I got married at 19.
Life was blissful then. Being 19, 21, even 23 was much more easy-going and fun now that I'm a little bit "older." 

Yes. We both say time and again, the hardest part about our marriage was the beginning, but sometimes, I think it's all hard.

I think I have this idea in my head that one day our brains, hopes and dreams will align and we'll be the same and want the same things all the time and life would be so easy and fun and we'll just have this "marriage thing" all figured  out. But ya' know, it's not that simple.
I am blown away by how many arguments we still get it in, and 10 minutes in, I have no idea what we're arguing about.
It's just that we ARE such different people and we DO have different brains and hopes and dreams, and assumptions. We're just different human beings!

It's a simple, unsurprising fact that is true about every two people and the next two.
Being Married is Hard.

Being Married is also the Best.

This weekend, as Latter-day Saints of the Church of Jesus Christ, we listen to a General Conference, broadcasted worldwide semi-annually.  The messages today have focused a lot on family and its importance as well as the importance of marriage.

Although being married is difficult. The commitment of marriage is the most amazing part of my life.

I have loved Ivan since early February 2008. But my love for him is only shared by two people- me and him. Our MARRIAGE is our commitment of love shared by everyone around us.
Our families lives are blessed because Ivan and I are married and entered into that commitment.
Marriage as a constitution is the most important action anyone will ever make.

My marriage strengthens me.

I rely on my marriage and keep it close to my heart. At the end of the day,  I know I have something that lasts forever.

Ivan and I are no strangers to long-distance relationships. In fact, we were in a LDR when I realized I wanted to marry him! Last year, we were apart and I got this sweet text message from him:

Woke up this morning to my alarm and LITERALLY reached over to where you usually sleep as if to touch you, but alas you were not there. I'm not sad I just instinctively reached for you. I always need you in my life, sweet love.  Love you for eternity!
~~

Being in love helps us grow, but being married, commits us to grow together.



Everything that I have, everything that I am, fully supports MARRIAGE!
To say I am a fan, would be an understatement. I owe everything I am today to my marriage. When I focus on the good that comes from marriage, I am easy-going, carefree and happy- I am young again!
Yes, yes, yes, marriage is difficult. But it is so worth it!!!


M




No comments:

Post a Comment