Sunday, February 9, 2014

Color Run - Ventura, California

It's safe to say I enjoyed my first 5k - Run or Dye style!


I didn't get that colorful, but I am most certainly happy with that result.  We ran in the misty hills of Ojai, California in the 9am circuit.  I didn't bring a watch or my iPhone tracker to identify my time and in accordance with the "fun run" purposes of this 6,500 participant event, there were no stopwatches or trackers.  I really felt however, that it was only about 2  1/2 miles.  It went by too fast and it was way too fun.

My expectations Saturday morning weren't very high.    
I drove with my mom, dad and little sister and we were meeting 4 of our friends for the "race". 
I woke up at 7, it was cold outside, I had to go to the bathroom and I was about to run around outside in the cold and get dirty.  I wasn't looking forward to it.  
I said audibly "I hate running."  Why was I doing this to myself?
I was laughing sarcastically at my attitude.  It's true.  I don't like running.  I "just do it" anyways.  
Like eating green beans or spinach smoothies.  No one really like those things.  

Once I got the the porta-pottys (ok, no judgement), I felt a lot better!  
The staff and volunteers at Run or Dye were energetic and funny and being with my friends and family cheered up my spirits so I started the run off on a great pace.  


 Here's me with my beautiful mommy and also my beautiful sister 
who's still smiling under a face full of colorful cornstarch. 


Because there were lots of rocks, branches and even boulders at times, and we were a large crowd, we had to to walk at certain points.  Other than that, we ran and I was proud of myself, even though, as you know, I hate running.  

So, if you hate running like me, try a Color Run because you can walk and talk, run a little or do it all with very little pressure.  With so many happy people around, it was easy to forget that you were running.  It was a beautiful day in the hills of Ojai and strangers were throwing rainbows at each other.
Who could ask for anything more?


From the Happy Runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment