Thursday, June 4, 2015

Our Kayaking Adventure



I was in 50 degree water, my feet frozen in flippers, balancing on rocks and sea urchins, watching the Sea Lions sunbathe on the cliff in Sunny Jim cave in La Jolla, San Diego. Paradise.  I saw pictures online before I visited and it looked like paradise, and it almost was- except I was shivering, short of breath, looking out of a foggy snorkel mask, and a giant wave was headed straight for me-

It was a beautiful moment I had been looking forward to for weeks now, and now all I wanted was for it to be over in 5 seconds.

This is beautiful but can we get out now?
I asked our guide Nick.
He swam out through a different opening in the cave.
Just keep calm and follow me.


Nick seems like the most stereotypical name for a San Diego kayaking guide in his 20s with pierced ears. Just like the 17 year old Nick I had a huge crush on when I was only 14 year old Melissa. I trusted him. Ivan loved snorkeling! We were in the water for about an hour but I was so cold so I was ready for it to end. The coolest part was that we swam alongside a SEALION! Like, a huge one too!
Ivan and Nick saw the whole thing "Ah man, this is so cool!" But I just followed Dory's advice and kicked my little flippers and wanted it to be over.

This is the story of my life- I plan, get excited and wait- and when it's finally "what I've waited for" and I'm like- "OK, on to the next thing!"

Last night (6 WEEKS AFTER this Kayaking trip occurred, wow, procrastination) Ivan and I had a "conversation" and yes, I pat myself on the back for telling the truth- it was in fact, not an argument, well- and argument turned into a conversation, sitting on our bed like mature adults-
Anyways, I have a husband who is smart and sensitive enough to tell me what I am doing wrong in my life in the most polite and caring manner, and he talked about me actually finding JOY IN THE JOURNEY rather than getting stuck in the mundane things of life.
I actually accepted this criticism with 0% pain. It is 100% true! And this kayaking adventure- which was literally the name of the tour we signed up for- is the perfect example of my POV-

Can I just find joy in the journey already?

Blogging is one of the ways I can find joy in "the mundane things of life!"
But I also need to find joy in the PARADISE things of life- Like just taking a few more moments to float in the cave, be brave and Soak it all in!

So here is my public goal to live peacefully and joyfully in my journey! As the summer continues, I hope I can live each day peacefully and find something to put a smile on my face! We all deserve that don't we?

Here's to hoping more blogging and joy continues!
Love, M


No comments:

Post a Comment