Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I heart Italian Food!!


One of the top 3 things I was looking forward to when coming on this cruise, was eating Italian Food!  Basically anywhere you go in Italian will have something delicious!  I always look for a few “signs” of a good restaurant.  See: The “Beginner” Tourist Series: Restaurants
 This week, I went on an excursion to the city of Marsala in Sicily!  There we went to a Wine Loom called Florio and they fed us the most amazing Sicilian food, of which I kept eating and eating and eating.  Italy only became a country within the last 100 years.  Previously, it was divided by the cities we know today: Romans, Venetians, Sicilians, etc., each with their own language. Sicilians are the most proud as some refuse to even be called Italians.  That’s why in some NY Pizzerias; you can get an Italian Pie or Sicilian Pie.  The Sicilian Pie (pizza) is thick airy crust and usually a rectangle, cut into squares or smaller rectangles.  You can see the small slice of Cheese Sicilian Pizza on my plate.  The Other square that looks like Tomato Focaccia bread is called Pizzeta Riatta, and is basically tomato focaccia.  Everything, however is so much more fresh and delicious than anywhere in NY. 


There is also a slice of Eggplant Pie and Spinach and Mozzarella Pie.  There are two kinds of “pie”: One with a top crust and one without.  The best pie of the meal was the Spinach and Mozzarella Pie.  I still remember exactly how it tastes and I am craving it this very second. 

The desserts were even more amazing.  Along with the fresh cannoli’s, (I brought an entire plate back home to Ivan,) there were fresh tarts with wild strawberries and the best cake I have ever had in my entire life.

Sicilian Seven Layer Cake.  Layers of Chocolate Cake, Whipped Cream and Marzcapone Cheese, Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate covered crisps.. Heaven.  


No comments:

Post a Comment